(An Orangutan laughing. Photo by Malene Thyssen.)
Regarding the Pacific Justice Institute's attempt to force CA state officials to appeal judge Walker's decision overturning Prop 8:
- The California Supreme Court asked the Governator and AG to explain their positions in the matter:
- California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to California Supreme Court: "Nothing in the California constitution...imposes a mandatory duty...to appeal decisions of any court, let alone a federal court."
- California Attorney General Jerry Brown to California Supreme Court: "I am not a potted plant." Brown went on to explain that part of his oath of office is to defend the US Constitution and that his refusal to defend an unconstitutional law honors that oath. (Are you listening President Obama?)
- The California Supremes have refused to order Schwarzy and Brownie to defend Prop 8.
Suck on that Pacific Justice Institute.
- GetEqual to protest Nancy Pelosi's refusal to schedule a vote on the Employment Non Discrimination Act. What are the Democrats waiting for?
- ...And it looks like we might be out of luck on passing the Defense Authorization Bill which includes the Don't Ask Don't Tell "compromise."