Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Crustless Spinach Quiche

I started by blanching two 12oz packages of pre-washed baby spinach, by tossing it into salted, boiling water just to wilt it. Then I poured it all out into a strainer and rinsed it thoroughly with cold water.

I picked the mass up in both hands and squeezed as much moisture out of it as I could.



Then I chopped the spinach:



Then mixed it in a large bowl with a small, chopped yellow onion, 3/4 cup beef stock, 1/3 cup heavy cream, 3 eggs, a generous pinch of salt, fresh cracked pepper and the tiniest pinch of ground nutmeg.


I grated into the mixture about two ounces of Jarlsberg cheese, then I poured the whole thing into a large pie dish.



And grated the rest of the cheese on top.

Then I baked it in a preheated, 350 degree oven for 35 minutes and it came out golden brown. (Next time I'll bake it an extra 10 minutes to make it even crustier.) When the time came I was able to cut and serve it like a pie...



In the meantime I tossed a pint of clean, sliced Crimini mushrooms in a hot pan with another minced onion, diced tomato, half a cup of beef stock, 1/4 cup dry vermouth, 1/4 cup heavy cream, salt, pepper and a generous pinch of thyme.


(Action shot courtesy of Dr. Snickerdoodle.)

I served that on prosciuto-filled perlini pasta.


...with fresh chopped parsley, parmesan cheese and a swirl of extra virgin olive oil.


The crustless, spinach quiche is in the back next to a generous slice of buttered ciabatta bread.

The pasta is in the front next to a generous glass of whiskey on the rocks.

Wonderfully delicious and so good for you!

1 comment:

Comments welcome, but if you're going to be a jerk, I'll delete your ass.

'Kay?