Thursday, June 10, 2010

Chicken And Dumplings

These are the chicken and dumplings that Dr. Snickerdoodle and I enjoyed the other night when our friends Linda and Jim Joined us for dinner:



We also had leftover cornbread stuffing, fresh tomato, basil and mozzarella salad and a simple side of celery hearts dressed with extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.

I've been trying to get my dumplings right for years and I think I'm finally getting it.

Sift together in a large bowl:

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Cut into the flour mixture:

1/3 cup COLD butter

Keep cutting the butter into the flour mixture until its texture is like breadcrumbs.  Do not let the butter melt.

Pour in all at once:

1/2 cup heavy cream

Mix together with a spatula until the mass comes together, then work with your hands until you can form a solid ball.  Knead the dough for half a minute to a minute, just to work it slightly.

IMPORTANT:

You now MUST allow the dough to rest for thirty minutes in the fridge.

During this time you can be sure you've got your cooked chicken in hot stock with a nice mirepoix of celery, onions and garlic. Herbs of your choice, a little salt and pepper.  You know what you're doing.  Or do I have to go into detail?

I will if you want me to, but let's just focus on the dumplings right now.

Roll the dough out on a large, floured surface to a thickness of about 1/8th of an inch.

I like to use a pizza cutter to slash the dough into 1" wide strips. Then cut the strips on the diagonal, making 1" long, diamond-shaped noodles.

Drop them into your boiling chicken and stock mixture. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to the lowest temperature.  Simmer for 10 minutes. Test a dumpling at this point to make sure they are properly cooked. They should be tender and light in texture.

Ladle into bowls and serve with cornbread stuffing and roasted chicken livers.


(Doesn't that look yummy?)

If you try this, or any of my recipes, feel free to write and let me know how it turns out.

1 comment:

Comments welcome, but if you're going to be a jerk, I'll delete your ass.

'Kay?