Saturday, July 31, 2010
A chilly lake of methane, ethane and nitrogen as photographed by NASA's Cassini probe. The first evidence of bodies of liquid on another world.
300 degrees below zero sounds pretty damn cold to me.
(Hat tip to Dr. Snickerdoodle.)
(Today in public domain wedding photography: Ron and Nancy Reagan slicin' up the nup' cake, Toluca Lake California, March 4th 1952.)
- Chelsea Clinton heterosexually marries a person of the opposite sex in Upstate New York. Madeleine Albright catches bouquet, squeals with glee. Congrats.
- Male Argentinian couple celebrates 27 years together by marrying under that nation's new equality law. Catholic Church still being a bunch of dicks about it.
- Speaking of dicks: Senator John Cornyn (who opposes marriage equality and the repeal of DADT) will speak at the next gathering of Log Cabin Republicans.
- Study shows gay teens in gay relationships experience higher self esteem and lower internalized homophobia. Isn't that nice?
- (PS to the screaming hordes who can't get enough of The Flaming Chef: Guess who's unemployed again? Sometimes you just can't stop people from flushing diamonds down the toilet. I prefer to look on the bright side: This means I have more time to write ...and drink heavily.)
Friday, July 30, 2010
(Now that's a collar. Vice-President of the United States of America (Under Calvin Coolidge): Charles Dawes.)
- Italian government in a tizzy. Firings and resignations and disagreements, oh my!
- Ethics charges against Rep. Charles Rangel heading toward trial, to the delight of Republicans.
- "Aloha, and I'm suing you." Gay couples sue state of Hawaii for equal rights.
- Episcopal Church gets to work drafting a whole new rite for the blessing of gay couples.
- More layoffs at Focus on the Family. What are those poor unemployed bigots going to do with all that free time? (Via Joe My God.) Without beating a dead horse, I'd like to say one more time:
"Homophobia is a business, and as much as we are fighting to change the law, we are fighting to make that business model unprofitable."
Thursday, July 29, 2010
(...and the diamonds in the hair. Have you ever seen anyone so fresh and unspoiled? The Pope via buzzfeed's 15 gayest pictures of the Pope. Thanks again Wicker Parker.)
- Andrew Sullivan: "The Vatican is Super-Gay!" Short and interesting comments about church hypocrisy from the mouth of a real-live Catholic. (Via Joe My God.)
- President appears on telly today with the ladies of The View. Stage fright not an issue.
- Journal of Applied Developmental Science comes out forcefully in favor of adoption rights for gay couples. Hey Maggie Gallagher, you and your buddies don't have a lot left to talk about, do you?
- Who is Elisabeth Hasselbeck and why is she such an idiot? Try this one on for size: "I think people turn out straight because they're not cute enough to be gay." Does that statement insult straight people? You decide.
Wednesday, July 28, 2010
The jerk who is running for governor of Florida explains why he hired a homophobic jerk at great taxpayer expense.
You all remember George "Long Stroke" Rekers?
Well, he's the best the republicans can dig up to bash the gays in court. Have a look, he has a go at single mothers too.
(Special hat tip to Wicker Parker.)
My pedicurist didn't believe me at first so I had to ask twice.
"Yes, I want my toes painted lots of different colors."
I told her I wanted them to look like a bunch of jelly beans.
She did great and my toes feel like candy.
(With special thanks to my Mom who bought me the pedicure. We had a gay old time, didn't we?)
Monday, July 26, 2010
(95 Theses updated to include some basic human rights. Thanks Lutherans!)
- Lutherans decide that gay people aren't so icky after all, ordain seven pastors. "...all people are loved unconditionally by God."
- Samuel Steward's life as a tattooist, writer, researcher and sexual outlaw brought to the page in Justin Spring's new book. Gay before there was even a word for it.
- Wikileaks gushing sensitive information annoys several big governments.
- Catholic Church still annoyed at revelations of gay priests in the heart of Rome.
- (Today's news update is brought to you with an enormous hat tip to Dr. Snickerdoodle.)
Sunday, July 25, 2010
(Today in breakfast: The Ulster Fry)
- Harry Reid and Dan Choi share a manhug onstage at the Netroots Nation conference in Vegas. Reid promised recently discharged Choi that DADT repeal will pass. Unless we'd rather have ENDA.
- (Via Towleroad) All forward motion on gay rights depends on how well the Democrats do in the mid--terms. How uneasy I feel.
- That's enough news for this morning. What are you having for breakfast? Bloody Marys, mimosas? Eggs, waffles, fruit? Something porky? It's Sunday and the world still rolls merrily along.