(Today in Sweet, sweet happiness: Alfred Eisenstaedt's famous photograph which originally appeared in Life Magazine. Is it wrong of me to love her sensible shoes?)
- General McChrystal (who's mouth is faster than his brain) meets his boss today about whether he's fired or not.
- Judicial watch informs us (via wapo) U.S. District Judge Martin L.C. Feldman, who halted the moratorium on offshore drilling, is heavily invested in the Gulf oil industry.
- Edith Shain (The nurse in Eisenstaedt's famous picture) has died in Los Angeles at age 91. BBC News quotes her description of VJ Day in New York: "And this guy grabbed me and we kissed, and then I turned one way and he turned the other." Bon Voyage Edith...
- McDonald's "creepy and predatory" Happy Meals under attack by watchdog group. McDonald's vows to start selling "adorable cigarettes" to children instead. Just kidding.
- President Obama touts small but significant progress on gay rights at White House Reception. The Family Equality Council is grateful, but points out we still have a long way to go.
- Only three more days to go! You've all been wonderful. Go vote again for The Flaming Chef (Jason Zenobia). Not once, not twice, but once every 24 hours until and including the 25th. I owe you all a drink when this is over.
Check out some new features here at The Flaming Chef. Yes, over there in the side bar, near the top! Now you can check out all the RECIPES, and TRUE STORIES with a minimum of fuss. Isn't that handy? Special thanks to Maripoza (now I really owe you a tiara!).