Wednesday, June 16, 2010

News 6/16/10


 (Today in hair: Flo. This image comes from the Florence Jean Castleberry fanpage on Facebook and is certainly the property of someone more powerful than I. No copyright infringement intended.)

Go vote for The Flaming Chef (Jason Zenobia) over at Freedom to Marry's blog contest. Not once, not twice, but once every 24 hours until and including the 25th. (I've set my phone to ring at 1:35 every day to remind me.)

Closing arguments in the Prop 8 Trial today. The Prop 8 Trial Tracker, Firedoglake and JoeMyGod, among others, will be liveblogging as everything unfolds. I will post updates later today as well. Riveting drama, n'est pas?

Balls. As part of their final filings in the case, anti-equality lawyers not only want Judge Walker to uphold Prop 8 but they want him to strike down the 18,000 marriages the CA Supreme Court already upheld. (Via JMG)

In other news...

It's like Camelot all over again. First Lady and daughters visit LA with much attendant hoopla.

Winking? Two Marines face possible hate-crimes charges for nearly beating a gay man to death "because he winked at them." I guess I'll tape my eyes open the next time the Fleet is in town.

"Discrimination is expensive" say Scouts. Boy Scouts of America back in court to defend their right to exclude queers (at taxpayer expense) in Philadelphia. At stake: a sweetheart, $1-a-year lease on a property that should cost them $200,000 annually.

The Flaming Chef says:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Homophobia is a business and as much as we are fighting to change the law, we are fighting to make that business model unprofitable.
Having my marriage recognized will be a victory, but the day Maggie Gallagher has to get a real job will be truly sweet...

Go vote for The Flaming Chef (Jason Zenobia) over at Freedom to Marry's blog contest. Not once, not twice, but once every 24 hours until and including the 25th. (I've set my phone to ring at 1:35 every day to remind me.)

Deja vu, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, but if you're going to be a jerk, I'll delete your ass.

'Kay?