(photo of Angela Anaïs Juana Antolina Rosa Edelmira Nin y Culmell by Elsa Dorfman.)
Dr. Snickerdoodle and I attended the final performance last night of the sensational, girlie-sexy "Inviting Desire 2010." The ensemble cast of electric, fearless women plunged us through the firm, soft pink walls of their sexuality, exploring themes of "pleasure, permission & possibility."
It left me breathless.
Brainchild of producer/director/sexy beast Eleanor O'brien, the show is a collaborative effort where the actors contributed their own monologues and used results from a massive survey of women and their desires. More than a performance piece, the evening is designed as an invocation and incitement to sexual revolution.
It worked for me on every level. I found it riveting, invigorating, hilarious, gorgeous, and heart-breaking.
Among the vignettes of the evening (too numerous, varied and delightful for a full recap) a small sampling of the pulsing humanity:
- A woman of a certain age who, along with her husband, discovers the joys of the strap-on.
- A fag-hag who reveals a list of 10 good reasons why she and her fag need to get it on.
- A woman who just wants to kiss her wife in public without having to look over her shoulder.
- A lady bicyclist who loves a parade.
- A woman who grows weary of her gentle lover - until she speaks rather forcefully on the matter.
- A novelist who finds love in the arms of her daughter's nanny.
- A very young girl who fantasizes about her uncle, but doesn't masturbate - "because that would be totally gross."
- Even Yoda made an appearance, "Judge me by my size, do you?" ...to help save princess Labia from a fate worse than death.
And I don't even like pussy.