(17th Century Illustration of everyone's favorite extinct bird. The Dodo.)
- The New York Times highlights John Boehner's ties to big business ahead of midterms that could see him the next Speaker of the House.
- Turks vote to restructure their constitution, ostensibly to get out from under military rule. New Parliamentary power over judiciary causes some concern. The extremely close vote looks likely to increase the schism between secular and Islamic Turks.
- Japanese continue to detain Chinese captain, crew and vessel over tussle in disputed waters.
- Yvonne Addis has written a short and nifty letter to the editor over at the Mason City Globe Gazette about persecution of gays by the church. Says Addis: "ignorance from the pulpit is harming many of our young people by teaching them to hate themselves rather than to accept themselves for who they are." Thanks Yvonne, whoever you are.
- Lesbian couple from Vonroe, Tennessee have their house burned down with the word "Queer" spray painted on the side of their garage. Community rallies to provide safety, shelter and supplies to the women. Here's the PFLAG Marysville site where you can go to help the couple and their college age daughter.
- High ranking Saudi Diplomat seeks asylum in the US. He has criticized his government, is friends with a Jewish woman and he's gay.