Friday, September 17, 2010

Up Yours, News Cycle! 9/17/10




(These are not my scones. This is a photo of a pile of scones from Wikimedia Commons courtesy of OctopusHat. They look like my scones though.)

Following the advice of my editor, I'm going to work on my manuscript and get back into the kitchen for a while.

In fact rather than checking the news, I baked scones this morning.

Here's the recipe adapted from the Joy of Cooking:

Whisk together in a large bowl:

2 Cups all purpose flour
1/3 Cup granulated Sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder

Cut in 3/4 stick of butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Add 1/2 cup heavy cream, a single egg and a few drops of pure almond extract.  (I also like to take a half cup of currants and soak them in Amaretto for an hour. Drain the currents and add them instead of the almond extract.)

Stir everything together with a rubber spatula until it comes together, then knead it a few times against the side of the bowl.  Shape the ball into a six to seven inch wide disc (about 3/4 of an inch thick) and cut into six pie-shaped wedges.

Arrange the wedges on an ungreased cookie sheet and brush the tops with melted butter.  Sprinkle a little granulated sugar on each top and bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes.

Let them cool on a rack for a few minutes before you pounce and devour the whole damn batch.  Great with butter, jam, clotted cream or just plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, but if you're going to be a jerk, I'll delete your ass.

'Kay?