Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Gay Animals? You Betcha!


The NYT's Sunday Magazine this weekend will feature an article by Jon Mooallem exploring the fact that many animals are gay, gay, gay!

For years biologists ignored the evidence of queerness in the animal world because it was too damn shocking. But it turns out that lots of animals (particularly mammals and birds) are a bit light in the loafers.

Call me biased if you must but there seems to be a strong correlation: the higher the intelligence of a species, the more same-sex hanky panky you'll find.

Homosexuality: Now 100% all-natural! (Thanks, but I've known THAT for years.)

More on this topic can be found over at a neato post at Wikipedia. I also recommend Dr. Bruce Bagemihl's comprehensive book, Biological Exuberance.

Go to your Local. Independent. Bookseller.

(Hat tip to Dr. Snickerdoodle.)

(Cover image of Dr. Bruce Bagemihl's book from Macmillan publishing.)

3 comments:

  1. I have a gay dog. He is an 8 year old lab mix that always is humping only the boy dogs. Totally leaves the girls alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, I almost forgot: Dr. Snickerdoodle and I have two cats who are both lesbians.

    Any time a girl enters our house, the cats swarm them and try to nibble their heads.

    "Oooh, girls!"

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome, but if you're going to be a jerk, I'll delete your ass.

'Kay?