Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Introducing Kevilu Productions


My post earlier today referencing the 4.4 Magnitude Earthquake that rocked southern California this morning and, more importantly, the late, great Lana Turner (who starred in the blockbuster, 1974 disaster movie "Earthquake") prompted Flaming Chef reader Kevilu to write to the Flaming Chef with a movie recommendation of his own.

Brace yourselves for the tawdry glory that is 1966's "Madame X," starring Lana herself!

Lana Turner plays Holly Parker, a poor shopgirl who marries a wealthy socialite (John Forsythe) with a domineering mother (Constance Bennett) who, not-so-secretly detests her son's new wife. After the accidental death of her secret lover (Ricardo Montalban), Holly flees to the skiddiest, of skid rows and becomes a drunken wreck. (Type casting, am I right?)

Years later she encounters an asshole who learns of her past and tries to blackmail her, assuming that she will protect her (ex) husband, who now has political ambitions. So she shoots the bastard (atta girl!) and loses her powers of speech. (Well, wouldn't anyone?)

You're not going to believe this, but here's the kicker:

The lawyer assigned to defend her in her murder trial is none other than her own son, played by an absolutely dreamy Keir Dullea, and he has no idea who she is! How the hell will this story resolve itself? Watch the damn thing and find out.

My Mom made me watch this movie when I was a kid and I loved every minute of it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, "Thanks for making me gay Mom!"

Over-the- top melodrama like this is a profound pleasure. Let us all slap our hands together in thanks to our very own Kevilu.

(Confidential note to Kevilu: These are the options, Lana and Joan?)

1 comment:

  1. How many of these did I make you watch? You're welcome!!!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome, but if you're going to be a jerk, I'll delete your ass.

'Kay?